Saturn as seen from Titan, painting by Chesley Bonestell

Saturn as seen from Titan, painting by Chesley Bonestell
Favorite astronomical painting

Saturday, December 24, 2016

Self Publishing Mom's Poems

I am venturing into the world of Create Space for the third time.  I have collected Mom's poems and have typed up a document for publication via Create Space.  It would have been nice had I done this while she was living.  I have jumped all the hoops except the cover and that requires a conversion of JPEG into PDF.  That is a real pain. I am using two different photos of Mom, one front and one back.  The front cover is her with a banjo when she was fifteen.  By the way, I found her braids which she had cut and saved them all these years.  I'm happy to have found them.  The back cover when she was 33 with Pepper.  I wanted to share those photos and invite anyone's comments.  I may not find both photos.

Sorry the one of Mom and Pepper is small and I've not enlarged it yet.  The large one was taken in 1928 and the small one on November 1946.  I don't anticipate a market for this short book but I wanted to get them in published form.  The six by nine format contains 57 pages.  Some of my poems to Mom are also included.

9 comments:

Miss Mae said...

This is great, Larry. Wish you all the best. You'll be glad to hold this special book in your hands. :)

Larry Hammersley said...

Thanks so much Miss Mae. All I need to do now is somehow figure out the JPEG to PDF conversion deal.

Anne Patrick said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mom, Larry. Happy anniversary to you and your wife.

Linore Rose Burkard, Novelist said...

Hey Larry, Great pictures. What are you going to call the book? And can you share the cover design? We can give you feedback. :)
It's sweet that you're doing this with your mom's work! I wish you all the best with the project. And again, Happy Anniversary!

Larry Hammersley said...

Thank you Miss Mae, Anne and Linore. The cover will include the young Mom on the front and Mom and Pepper on the back. It won't happen until I can convert JPEG to PDF or pay someone to do it. This is the hassle I ran into with The Shunammite Woman and my son did the computer magic before but I hate to ask him again. The title will be The Poems of Stella Hammersley. I believe the museum will stock a supply of them.

Gail Pallotta said...

Hi Larry,

Well, your mom is just the cutest! I'm so happy you're sharing her poems and look forward to reading them.

Also, Happy Anniversary to you and Sue!

Larry Hammersley said...

Thanks Gail. If I can figure out the cover formatting I'll be on my way. Linore and Miss Mae have offered suggestions but I can't get the hang of it. Larry

Laurean Brooks said...

Larry, your mother was a lovely woman. Happy Anniversary to you and your wife. I hope you have many more.

I would love to read your poems. Your writing has a poetic flow, so they must be beautiful too.

Larry Hammersley said...

Thank you, Laurie. Mom was part American Indian. I think one fourth so that makes me one eighth. Speaking of poems I wrote one for Sue, my wife, on this our 54th wedding anniversary. I have not mastered the meter and all that though.