Saturn as seen from Titan, painting by Chesley Bonestell

Saturn as seen from Titan, painting by Chesley Bonestell
Favorite astronomical painting

Monday, March 5, 2018

Motorcycle Woman legal aspects

My lawyer isn't versed in the question I had concerning using the name of an actual person from my past.  Jug was an excellent motorcycle mechanic and ran his own shop in Bloomington, Indiana.  I tried to contact him to get verbal approval of using his name.  I speak very complimentary of him in the story.  I learned he had died in 2012.  I was saddened by that news as he was a fine fellow.  My lawyer still didn't know if I should use his name.  He recommended I contact a lawyer with a background on this sort of thing.  I've decided instead of doing that I will change Jug's name to Jeb.  I believe that will be safe to do.  It cost me a lot to get my rights back on this story so I was reluctant to spend more.  I will probably have to spend more money to get the cover into the right format.  I am dedicating the story to the same three editors that helped me on the short version.  I don't suppose they will ever know I did that because I have no contact info on them anymore.  Likewise, I'm including the Harley shop in Black River Falls, Wisconsin who graciously allowed me to include their name in the story.  I also speak very favorably of them too.  I am close to being ready to start the process with Create Space.  I do wish someone would drop a comment even it is to say "Boo!"
I am also working on an old short story, 33,000 words entitled The Forever Bond which is a sweet romance with a strange twist involving a gold pocket watch.

No comments: